Sunday 16 September 2012

Beating the Sweet Cravings

Once you have developed a love for sweets or sugary things, it can be a hard habit to break.
For me the transition was easy because when I crave something 'sugary' I know that my body needs energy so I have some sweet fruit instead. This leaves me feeling good, rather than feeling bad about myself for eating crap. Plus a massive bonus is skipping the sugar crash at the end of a sugar treat, as fruit's natural sugars release more flowing and naturally.

However, it is inevitable that you are going to want a treat every now and then, and this is OK! You deserve one!

I like to invent treats that I can reward my kiddies with, without punishing their bodies.

This is a little something that I came up with a few weeks ago, and it took me literally 5 minutes to make. I baked them for a further 10 minutes to make them golden brown. So here you have a treat prepared in around 15 minutes and you can make as many as you want! They can be stored in containers and kept in the fridge for about 3 days.


Ingredients -
- Sliced almonds (without skin)
- Almond meal
- Organic coconut cream (you can substitute the coconut cream with water, coconut water, almond milk or rice milk)
- Shredded coconut
- Natural organic maple syrup (you can substitute this with natural honey)

Method -
- Combine Almond meal with a little coconut cream (or preferred option) and the maple syrup (or honey) until you achieve a dough-like consistency.
- Mix shredded coconut and sliced almonds through the "dough" and roll into tiny balls
- I rolled the balls through a small amount of honey and then through coconut to achieve the above picture.
- Bake on high for 10 minutes or until golden brown.

TIP- I used mini cupcake papers and a mini cupcake tray to hold into place.

This is a treat that the whole family can enjoy and it is actually good for your body!

Variations -
Try mixing it up buy using different ingredients such as chopped walnuts or pecans, natural cocoa bean powder, or natural vanilla bean powder (NOT vanilla bean sugar).

Stay tuned for "Ice Cream" recipes that go great with this!

Quick health facts about this snack:

1) 1 cup of almonds contains much more calcium than 1 cup of cows milk and is much better for your health.

2) REAL maple syrup contains manganese and zinc which are natural antioxidants that are good for your immune system, the male reproductive system and help to prevent damage to the heart. It is also 3x sweeter than cane sugar, making it a great sweetener.

3) Coconut is very rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals - making it highly nutritious! It is great for cleansing the body, both inside and out!

Xx Samara






No comments:

Post a Comment